Wednesday, 16 November 2011

Buenos Dias from Brazil!

So I have successfully made it from the west coast of South America to the east coast you will be pleased to hear! I have to admit after 10 weeks traveling on cramped, smelly and sometimes downright disgusting buses, a flight with entertainment and food certainly left me feeling pampered.

Anyway I digress...so from Arequipa I headed north into the mountains to Cusco. As a city it was almost solely dedicated towards tourists (for the obvious reason of Macchu Picchu), however that didn't totally take away from it's quaint Plaza and the picturesque remaining original cobbled streets. That being said, I have to admit Cusco was a bit of a non-stop party, so that is what I did for a few days. (Grudgingly obviously, I mean even the Lonely Planet suggested I spent a few days there 'acclimatizing'). A number of stories came from those nights, the majority of which I cannot publish on an Internet forum either because of fear of arrest or sheer embarrassment (Joking Mum)...well partly. One chuckle-worthy anecdote I'll throw in was of my friends Emma and Jen persuading me to check in the next morning to their hostel when we were all totally bladdered at 4 in the morning. Totally convinced, and after spending 2 hours on a park bench speaking what I thought at the time was perfect Spanish to a friendly Peruvian man, I wondered back up the hill to my hostel. I proceeded to check out at around 6am, pay my bill and then asked if I could sleep until about 10 before leaving. The guy on duty agreed that was fine, and I headed off for a few hours kip. I woke up with my head pounding and my vision slightly blurred. I decided sod carrying my bags to another hostel, crawled out of bed and checked straight back in again! How decisions seem so easy after doing countless shots and dancing on a bar...

After these few nights of debauchery, which also included hitting a Peruvian cage fight, I decided to consider my options on how I wanted to get to Macchu Picchu. After much deliberation I decided I was going to book the two day train trip (there and back) as time wasn't on my side for a 4/5 day trek and I wanted to do a number of things before getting to Santiago for my next flight. With that decided, I went into town the next morning....and came back having booked a 4 day jungle trek with my traveling buddies Dom, Lucy and Jess.

So much for planning ahead.

It turned out to be the best spur of the moment decision of my trip so far (and yes you of those who know me well won't be surprised that I have made a fair few!). The trek included a day's mountain biking, half a day of ziplining across Canyons and 1 and a half days trekking through mountains and jungle (the 4th day being Macchu Picchu itself). The mountain biking was a good laugh, whilst the trekking was both challenging and rewarding, and both sections had attached stunning scenery. Again those of you who know me well should know my aversion to heights...and they came aplenty in this trip. We actually did a portion of the original Inca Trail which was breath-taking, a path no wider than you or I curving around the top of the mountains with a sheer drop on one side. Unfortunately I didn't get to appreciate the view that much as I spent the majority of the time virtually kissing the rock face and frantically chewing coca leaves in the vain hope they'd get me so buzzed that I didn't notice the height.

It didn't work.

After managing that feat however I found a new confidence, and ziplining the next day, although at similar height, was something I loved! Even ziplining to a wooden ledge nailed to a sheer cliff face didn't deter me. Things as always however were about to get worse...

As I was standing on this ledge feeling chuffed with myself that I was actually enjoying the heights, I started to wonder where on earth I was supposed to go next as there was no zipline from this cliff face to the other side of the canyon. I turn to see the small Peruvian assistant grinning at me, and pointing straight up the cliff face, where I suddenly notice tiny metal handles stuck into the rock. After frantically shaking my head at him for about 30 seconds my mind was made up for me as I suddenly noticed a shadow growing on the wall and turned to see Dom's legs and arse ziplining towards me at full pelt. Realizing there wasn't room on the platform for 3 of us I had no choice but to start climbing up the rock face. Spiderman I am not ladies and gents, although I am again proud to say I did it!

There are many more stories from that trek, but I shan't bore you with them, needless to say I had an Inca-redible time! (I apologise, I had to fit in a cringeworthy pun otherwise a certain Mr Friedman may have never spoken to me again).

Macchu Picchu itself has been the highlight of my trip to date. To describe it in words is somewhat pointless so I'll be brief. Breath-taking.

Next on the list was Lake Titicaca, the highest lake in the world. We decided to cross the border and head to the 'Isla del Sol' on the Bolivian side. The island itself was a bit sparse, but again the views from the top were incredible. We trekked from the south to the north of the island and due to the altitude we all found it tougher than expected. As a consequence, the beer break we decided to have 30 minutes into the hike meant we spent the last 45 mins walking in the pitch black, but we all maintained it was worth it.

After returning the next morning by boat to the mainland, we headed straight to La Paz. At first glance the highest capital in the world is admittedly fairly impressive. Sprawled across a valley, buildings went for as far as the eye could see, as well as almost sitting on top of each other up the valley walls. Combined again with the snow-capped Andes towering over the city, it was again another impressive sight to add to the list. Unfortunately that's pretty much all I saw of La Paz as I was struck down with the travelers favorite: food poisoning. Fun times for me!

And this is where I will sign off for Chapter 4 of my blog. I hope you've enjoyed it and stay tuned, Chapter 5, which will hopefully bring us up to the present day, will be winging it's way to you all very soon hopefully!

Until the next time amigos!

Love
Ginge

Xxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment